Man on meth binge allegedly threatened to 'cut people' at McDonald's, Walmart

Jeff Bobo • Updated Mar 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM

ROGERSVILLE — A Hawkins County man was arrested Friday morning after he allegedly threatened to “cut people” at the Rogersville Walmart and McDonald’s parking lot and admitted he had been awake four days on meth.

Joey Scott Eidson, 31, 109 Old Route 66, Rogersville, was arraigned Monday in Hawkins County Sessions Court on charges including public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

As of Tuesday, he remained held in the Hawkins County Jail on $1,061 bond.

Shortly after 7 a.m. Friday, Rogersville Police Department officers Chris Funk and Cambren Gibson responded to a complaint at the Route 66 McDonalds of two possibly intoxicated males peering through the windows of cars in the parking lot.

Those two males were gone by the time officers arrived, but Gibson and Funk received a similar complaint at the nearby Walmart store around 7:45 a.m.

“This time while looking inside parked vehicles one of the males (Eidson) began acting aggressively toward customers,” Funk said. “We located the males in front of the store and identified them. Joey Scott Eidson was very jumpy and agitated.”

Funk added, “The male with him advised me that (Eidson) had been making threats to cut people.”

Officers searched Eidson and confiscated a pocketknife.

He reportedly stated that he had been doing meth, hadn’t slept for four days and had a ride coming for him.

Funk said he gave Eidson an opportunity to avoid arrest if he went home and “slept it off.”

A short time later, Funk was notified that Eidson had entered the McDonald’s restroom with a knife.

Funk located Eidson in the parking lot and found him in possession of a second, smaller knife.

Eidson reportedly stated he was looking for the male he had been with earlier so he could “cut him” for stealing his phone card.

At the time of his arrest Friday morning, Eidson was on probation for criminal trespassing and vandalism.

He was arrested Feb. 3 at a residence on Pressmens Home road after attempting to open the door and beating on the windows of a motorhome where a woman was staying by herself.

Eidson also attempted to open the woman’s car door and damaged the handle in the process. He reportedly told HCSO Sgt. Scott Alley he didn’t know where he was or how he got there.

He was sentenced to 10 days in jail, a year of probation, 88 hours of community service and $980 in fines and fees.

Recommended for You

    Kingsport Times News Videos